Benefits of Toastmasters
This page has information about the benefits of joining a Toastmasters club.
Communication Matters in Life
Communication – the human connection – is the key to personal and career success. (Paul J Meyer).
Effective communication is the key to success in most avenues of life, whether that be in your personal relationships, in your work life, or in your everyday tasks to get things done.
Many people find public speaking a fearful aspect of life and struggle to find their voice and get their message across effectively.
Toastmasters International is the world's largest organisation dedicated to helping people achieve their potential by developing members' communication and leadership skills. In over 14,000 clubs globally, including 275 clubs around New Zealand, members learn public speaking and other valuable interpersonal and leadership skills in a warm and supportive environment. Every Toastmasters club shares the same mission, clearly defined in the following mission statement:
We provide a supportive and positive learning experience in which members are empowered to develop communication and leadership skills, resulting in greater self-confidence and personal growth.
Regardless of your background, Toastmasters is the most efficient, enjoyable and affordable way of gaining great communication and leadership skills.
Better Speaking - Toastmasters will give you the skills and confidence you need to effectively express yourself in any situation. By learning to effectively formulate and express your ideas, you enter a new world of possibilities. You will be more persuasive and confident when giving presentations, and you will improve your one-on-one dealings with others.
Better Leading - Leadership is the art of empowering others to do what you wish to be done. To do so, you need to know how to communicate with others and work as a team to achieve goals. In a Toastmasters club, you will do both. You will find out how to vary your approach to suit the needs of different people, whether they are the audience for a speech, the committee for a fundraiser, or co-workers and managers.
The benefits of joining a Toastmasters Club include:
• A unique means of learning and improving your communication abilities within a supportive and motivational atmosphere of growth, fellowship and fun with your fellow Toastmasters club members in a learn by doing approach.
• Access to professionally prepared educational materials and resources on: public speaking; interpersonal communication; leadership; listening; critical thinking; effective evaluation; facilitating and participating in discussions; techniques to enhance presentations involving technological resources; event management; parliamentary procedures; and running effective meetings.
• Continuing development of, and exposure to, proven communication techniques.
• Increased confidence, ability to organise logical thought and present it self-assuredly, and better understanding of interpersonal relationships.
• Experience in leadership development through training, involvement and activities.
• Unlimited opportunities for personal and professional advancement based on improved abilities and expanded experience.
• The Toastmaster magazine – every month the Toastmaster provides new insights on communication techniques, ideas and opinions.
• Affiliation with an internationally renowned educational organisation.
How does it work?
The environment we provide is friendly and supportive, and the self-paced programme allows you to build confidence with each speaking assignment.
You develop and practice your skills through delivering prepared speeches, filling meeting roles and/or participating in impromptu speaking sessions, called Table Topics.
Constructive evaluation is the heart of the Toastmasters programme. Each time you practice your communication skills you will receive written, verbal and informal feedback which will point out strengths you demonstrate and suggest areas where you can continue to develop and improve your skills.
How do I join?
There are over 275 clubs to choose from in New Zealand, each with its own unique personality. We recommend you visit a few clubs in your area to see how they operate. When you find one you are comfortable with, it is an easy matter to complete a membership application and pay a once-only joining fee plus up to six months membership (fees may differ for each club dependent on club overheads). Shortly afterwards you will receive your New Member Kit. Congratulations, you're now a member of your chosen Toastmasters club, and on your way to an exciting period of learning and personal development!
Many clubs run short courses in public speaking, known as Speechcraft. These are typically 6-8 weeks long, and follow a structured learn-by-doing speaker training programme. They are ideal for those who need or want an accelerated introduction to public speaking. Membership to the club which runs the course is optional, but encouraged.
About Toastmasters International
Toastmasters International is a worldwide not-for-profit educational organisation that empowers individuals to become more effective communicators and leaders. Headquartered in Rancho Santa Margarita, California, the organisation's membership exceeds 313,000 in more than 14,650 clubs in 126 countries. In New Zealand we have more than 5,500 members in over 275 clubs.
Since 1924, Toastmasters International has helped people from diverse backgrounds become more confident speakers, communicators and leaders. For information about local Toastmasters clubs, please contact us by phone at 0800 PEOPLE or email firstname.lastname@example.org.