CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE - as at 23 March 2020
Emailed out to all members
The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues to impact Toastmasters around the District and around the world. All Clubs and District are facing a number of challenges at the moment. The District leaders are here to support our members and our clubs in any way we can.
Toastmasters has made some announcements to support our members and our clubs.
1. All clubs in the District can meet entirely on-line, as needed
Members over 70 and members who have significant health and safety issues have been advised to stay away from meetings. There are others who are taking precautions and have said they will not attend meetings. Some clubs cannot meet at their venue due to closures. We need to support our members and clubs to ensure we still meet their needs. Clubs can meet either partially or fully on-line.
Zoom can be used to run the on-line meetings. There are several options:
- There is no charge for the basic zoom and the meeting can run for 45 minutes. You can have a break and then start another 45 minute meeting.
- Your club can buy a subscription for Zoom, which costs less than $25 per month
- The District, in the interim, is setting up a Zoom account for the clubs to use. If you want to use the District Zoom account, the meetings will need to be scheduled to ensure we do not have a clash with meetings. If you do want to use the District account please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. with details of when your club meets.
If your club continues to meet in person please take all precautions including social distancing, washing of hands and keeping away if you or your family are sick. Please keep up to date with the Ministry of Health guidelines
and Governmental announcements.
While this is a crisis that requires careful management, there is an opportunity to help others by promoting your club as having on-line attendance. Encourage people to join as it will provide an outlet for many people who are self-isolating. Remember to update your website, facebook, meetup and promotional material if you are having on-line meetings.
We will be holding "Running an Online Meeting" webinars this week. There are three options for attendance. All meetings will cover the same information so you can choose which one suits best:
- Wednesday 25 March: 8:00pm to 9:00pm
- Friday 27 March: 8:00pm to 9:00pm
- Saturday 28 March: 1:00pm to 2:00pm
Additionally, please find the District 72 "Online Meeting Guidelines" here
2. Payment of Dues
Toastmasters International has extended the April renewals due date to April 30, 2020. This extension has the following impact:
3. Division and District Contests
- Members who have not paid by 1st April will have access to Basecamp continued until the 30th April. Members are not receiving a free month of membership, but an option to delay payment of their six-month renewal dues.
- Club Officers will have access to Club Central to 30th April.
At this stage we are planning to hold the final two Division Contests for E and J, and the District Contests on-line. The District will be providing further details on the contests shortly.
The District is here to support our members and our clubs. Please let me know if there is any way that the District can help and support you.
Diane Isherwood DTM
District Director 2019/20
Toastmasters District 72
Ph 027 677 4529