High Performance Leadership
This page describes the Toastmasters High Performance Leadership programme where you serve as a leader in a project.
A hands-on programme
This is a hands-on, five project skill-building programme that requires you to conduct a project of your choice in which you serve as a leader. Reflecting your own goals, the project may be affiliated with your participation at Club, Area, Division, District, business or community level.
The High Performance leadership manual walks you through the project's different phases, providing study material and activities to complete.
As you progress you'll learn about:
- The need for leadership, the six dimensions of leadership, your current leadership skills and becoming a more effective leader.
- Developing a vision and a mission.
- Building a team and creating an action plan.
- Helping the team accomplish its mission and dealing with setbacks.
- Analysing efforts.
Your Guidance Committee will provide help and advice, and evaluate your work.
Three part learning process
The Toastmasters proven three-part learning process of study, action and feedback is used in a real-life project selected by you.
The programme involves recruiting a Guidance Committee, studying the learning materials, selecting a project, working with your team to accomplish the goals, making presentations about the project, and receiving feedback and guidance.
Your Guidance Committee members can be subject-matter experts, coaches, colleagues or even your manager; they do not have to be a Toastmaster. However, you will get the best learning if at least one of your Guidance Committee has completed the HPL award themselves.
Your HPL project can be within or outside of Toastmasters, and should be about making a notable contribution to Toastmasters, your organisation, or your community. Not all projects succeed and there is no requirement to do so; the emphasis is on learning about the components of effective leadership and how to build a team that is greater than the sum of its parts..
What are some High Performance Leadership Projects Toastmasters have completed?
- Organised a national Toastmasters event.
- Set up a recurring storytelling workshop in the community.
- Chaired a church rummage sale organising committee.
- Promoted Toastmasters in local area through a variety of PR initiatives.
- Developed a District Operations Manual.
- Initiated one or several new Toastmaster Clubs.
- Organised the development of a local skateboard park.
- Organised several rounds of Club Leadership Training.
- Organised a Club "Evaluation Boot Camp" event.
- Set up a Civil Defence Readiness Unit.
- Organised a university class reunion.?
Links to More Resources
The best resource is to speak to a current Distinguished Toastmaster, to find out about the project they completed. They may have some tips and ideas for you to consider.