"Online education is like a rising tide. It's going to lift all boats." (Anant Argawal)
Toastmasters Clubs across the country are currently moving their meetings to an online environment to continue to provide an opportunity for their members and guests to build their confidence and find their voice with the Toastmasters International learning programme in the current environment.
Effective communication is the key to success in most avenues of life, whether that be in your personal relationships, in your work life, or in your everyday tasks to get things done, however many people find public speaking a fearful aspect of life and struggle to find their voice and get their message across effectively.
Come and check out a Toastmasters Club online to find a fun, supportive, effective and enjoyable environment to develop your communication and leadership skills and find your voice from the comfort of your own home.
Most clubs are currently delivering their meetings on the Zoom platform online and would welcome you along to check out their meetings and discover how it all works. Find a club that suits your schedule:
The environment we provide is friendly and supportive, and the self-paced programme allows you to build confidence with each speaking assignment. Everyone follows the same programme; but because everyone is different, everyone will get something different out of doing so. Exactly what that is, is up to you; but whatever it is, the club is there to help you achieve it.
You develop and practice your skills through delivering prepared speeches, filling meeting roles and/or participating in impromptu speaking sessions, called Table Topics.
Constructive evaluation is the heart of the Toastmasters programme. Each time you practice your communication skills you will receive written, verbal and informal feedback which will point out strengths you demonstrate and suggest areas where you can continue to develop and improve your skills.
Toastmasters International is the world's largest organisation dedicated to helping people achieve their potential by developing members' communication and leadership skills. In over 16,800 clubs globally, including 300 clubs around New Zealand, members learn public speaking and other valuable interpersonal and leadership skills in a warm and supportive environment. Every Toastmasters club shares the same mission, clearly defined in the following mission statement:
- We provide a supportive and positive learning experience in which members are empowered to develop communication and leadership skills, resulting in greater self-confidence and personal growth.
Regardless of your background, Toastmasters is the most efficient, enjoyable and affordable way of gaining great communication and leadership skills - and developing the confidence to find your voice and make your message heard.
Better Speaking - Toastmasters will give you the skills and confidence you need to effectively express yourself in any situation. By learning to effectively formulate and express your ideas, you enter a new world of possibilities. You will be more persuasive and confident when giving presentations, and you will improve your one-on-one dealings with others.
Better Leading - Leadership is the art of empowering others to do what you wish to be done. To do so, you need to know how to communicate with others and work as a team to achieve goals. In a Toastmasters club, you will do both. You will find out how to vary your approach to suit the needs of different people, whether they are the audience for a speech, the committee for a fundraiser, or co-workers and managers.
The benefits of joining a Toastmasters Club include:
- A unique means of learning and improving your communication abilities within a supportive and motivational atmosphere of growth, fellowship and fun with your fellow Toastmasters club members in a learn by doing approach.
- A safe place to practice developing the skills you want to improve - including language skills. There are many members for whom English is not their first language.
- Access to professionally prepared educational materials and resources on: public speaking; interpersonal communication; leadership; listening; critical thinking; effective evaluation; facilitating and participating in discussions; techniques to enhance presentations involving technological resources; event management; parliamentary procedures; and running effective meetings.
- Continuing development of, and exposure to, proven communication techniques.
- Increased confidence, ability to organise logical thought and present it self-assuredly, and better understanding of interpersonal relationships.
- Experience in leadership development through training, involvement and activities.
- Unlimited opportunities for personal and professional advancement based on improved abilities and expanded experience.
- The Toastmaster magazine – every month the Toastmaster provides new insights on communication techniques, ideas and opinions.
- Affiliation with an internationally renowned educational organisation.
For more detail about the programme and benefits please check out the Visitor Booklet.
So grab a device and enjoy a Toastmasters meeting online.
Feel free to contact us for further information or explore our website.